Home About Me Southern Eats My Southern Home Posts filed under Faith Current Series

Be Still

Saturday, January 1, 2011

I am joining up with Beth Moore and her Siesta Scripture Memory team this year!  To kick the New Year off, I am going to memorize Psalm 46:10.

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
   I will be exalted among the nations,
   I will be exalted in the earth.”

I feel that God is calling me this year to be still, to quiet the noise that does not matter, to still the chaos of a household of three children.  The business of running them from one sport to another and barely making it back home to cook dinner without falling into bed exhausted.  

The command to "be still" comes from the Hiphil stem of the verb (רפה) rapha (meaning to be weak, to let go, to release), which might better be translated as, "cause yourselves to let go" or "let yourselves become weak" (in poetic contexts, the noun form rephai'im was sometimes used as a synonym for "the place of the dead").  But to what end are we to "be still," "let go," "surrender," and even to "die to ourselves"?  I think that what this verse really means is to come to a realization that God is in control, so there really isn't any need to jump through hoops to try to please others when the only thing we should be trying to do is please HIM.

Father God, I pray that in this busy season of my life that you help me to learn to be still.  I pray as we start t his new year that I will develop a desire to wake up early and in the still and quietness of my house that I start my day by looking to you.  I want to develop good habits that will help reflect your love and peace.  Father God, I pray for this new year and for my family.  I pray that we make your priorities ours and we pray that you cover us with your love.  In Jesus name, amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...